Herries School first began as a result of friendships, family needs and the warmth of Mrs Beryl Goddard - a tradition embraced at Herries ever since.
Mrs Goddard opened her home in Kings Lane, Cookham Dean to Colonial Service children during the school holidays who were unable to return to their parents in far flung parts of the world.
Because the custom was for Colonial Service children to normally stay with their aunts and uncles during school holidays, it was natural for them to call Mrs Beryl Goddard, ‘Aunty B’. She in turn referred to them as a her bunch of ‘loveable rogues’. When in 1937 she decided to add a kindergarten to the school as well, she chose the name Herries, after the popular Hugh Walpole novel, ‘Rogue Herries’.
This humble start was temporary, within a year or so the war had triggered an increasing pressure to take in older children, most of them boarders. By 1942 the age range had soared from nursery age to 17. The school badge, designed by artist resident Bay Robinson shows the Herries Ship of Adventure with the Wreath of Rosemary for remembrance and the motto which is still followed today Fortiter, Fideliter, Feliciter, - With Bravery, Loyalty, Happiness.
Numbers grew week by week and finally the school moved to the present Herries building, at that time known as Mayfield.
This house had its own significance being the former home of Wind in the Willows author Kenneth Grahame. It was in this building that Grahame wrote his famous stories about Ratty Mole and Toad’s adventures. This location with it’s enchanting rural surroundings is still an inspiration to the children today.
Today Herries School continues to go from strength to strength but keeps true to it’s original family values.